Hillside Resort was established by John Jaud in 1912 when he
purchased 12 acres on South Shore Road of Lac Vieux Desert. He
ran a fine resort and Sugar Maple Camp. In 1921, he sold the
resort to William H. Love and his wife. They added the Lodge,
the present owners home and more cabins. William Love was the
first to add electricity to the resort both inside and out.
The Loves made special provisions to house the late fall
hunters. They also added a grass tennis court at the
resort. The Loves maintained saddle horses and ran trips into
Around 1936, C.M. Christianson bought the resort and had Al Speers
and his wife manage it for him until 1946 when the Petersons family
purchased it. The Petersons added cabins, raised the house the
match the lodge and connected them with the restaurant
kitchen. They also added indoor plumbing and built quite a
nice food business with Grandma and Millie's cooking and baking,
while Chuck ran the bar.
In 1976, the Peterson's sold to the
Calintrino family who ran the
resort until 1980 when they sold it to the Peske and Wisniewski
families. The Peske's then bought out the partnership.
In 1986, the Andersen family bought the resort and made many
improvements both inside and out to the cabins, grounds and
lodge. In the year 2003 the Andersen's will have owned the
resort the longest, second only to the Peterson's 29 - 30 years.
Hillside Resort is "The best kept
secret in the Northwood's."